Re: FTP transparent proxying

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Craig Schlenter wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 03:52:08PM +0100, RoMaN SoFt / LLFB !! wrote:

> You'd have to ask the squid list if squid can do transparent ftp in much the
> same way as it does http but I think the answer is no. I do know that squid
> will proxy ftp for you if you point your browser ftp proxy settings at it
> manually however.

Squid can't talk ftp to your client, it can only talk ftp to the servers.
If you configure your browser to use a "ftp-proxy" it talks http to the
proxy, which then does the ftp requests.

> What I was saying however is that you don't need a separate program to
> 'proxy' your ftp. It's built into the kernel provided you compile the
> right modules and tweak the right settings.

The kernel only knows about NATing ftp - which is different from proxying.

I think what Roman asks' is about a program which he could
transparently redirect his clients ftp-connections to and which will
cache/mangle/whatever the transfers.

c'ya
sven

--

The Internet treats censorship as a routing problem, and routes around it.
(John Gilmore on http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/)

-