Re: FTP transparent proxying

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 03:52:08PM +0100, RoMaN SoFt / LLFB !! wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:53:47 +0200, you wrote:
>
> >Yes it is possible. Linux has supported transparent ftp proxying for
> >some time however it is a requirement that the linux box be on the
> >default route for the ftp traffic so it can grab the packets, check
> >the original destination and proxy the traffic. There are non-transparent
>
>  I've using transparent http proxy with squid. Iptables is not the
> problem, I know how to redirect, etc. What I need is the proxy-program
> itself. I think squid doesn't perform this type of proxying. Am I
> wrong?

You'd have to ask the squid list if squid can do transparent ftp in much the
same way as it does http but I think the answer is no. I do know that squid
will proxy ftp for you if you point your browser ftp proxy settings at it
manually however.

What I was saying however is that you don't need a separate program to
'proxy' your ftp. It's built into the kernel provided you compile the
right modules and tweak the right settings.

> >Check out the masquerading faqs and/or the new netfilter documentation
> >for info on getting linux boxes to 'proxy' ftp.
>
>  I've read all advanced routing docs: the advanced routing howto
> itself, iptables packet filtering howto and iptables nat howto. But I
> haven't seen anything regarding ftp-proxying. Any little help, please
> :)

It _is_ possible but I don't have handy references to anything. A quick
browse in my linux directory shows a file called ip_conntrack_ftp.c
which is part of netfilter which does the work so it is possible. I'm
not near a copy of iptables either to read the manpage but surely there
is something useful linked from http://netfilter.kernelnotes.org or that
google can find or in the iptables manpages? eg.
http://www.BoingWorld.com/workshops/linux/iptables-tutorial/
mentions ftp from a quick glance at it and may be worth looking at.

--C
-