Re: network redudancy pointer needed

> How can I setup that box that it has only one IP and if connection
> through one eth card fails (switch on fire) it activates
> second eth card (very probably on some other switch) with same
> ifconfig parameters as the first one (ofcourse MAC is different) ?

Mario,

I don't know how well it works under linux, but assuming your switches are
capable, you may wish to investigate the spanning-tree support in the
kernel under the 'bridging' configuration option.

I don't know all of the effects enabling the bridging software on your box
will have, but I do know that automatic [dis/en]abling of redundant links
is what spanning tree is all about, and you might be able to come up with
something useful using it.

Mind you, spanning tree will probably _not_ copy one interface's
configuration to another, but it's also not necessary.  Just install the
IP address in question on a third device -- dummy0, for example -- with a
/32 netmask.  Once you do that, the ethernet devices (assuming they're up
and enabled) will respond to arp requests for that IP address, and will
receive traffic for that IP as normal.

In any case, once a failover _does_ happen, you will probably want to
generate a gratuitous ARP to your gateway to cause traffic to be directed
to the new NIC as quickly as possible.  This can be important even if you
maintain the same MAC address across interfaces, as the switching fabric
will need to relearn the path to your address in order to deliver traffic
to you.  http://www.linux-ha.org has information on the hows and whys of
gratuitous ARPing.

Thanks,

Kyle Sparger - Senior System Administrator
ksparger@dialtoneinternet.net - http://www.dialtoneinternet.net
Voice - (954) 581-0097 x 122
"Forget college, I'm going pro."

-