Re: Obsolete tulip.c in 2.2.18

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Donald Becker wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > > the newer version is 0.92, dated
> > > 4/17/2000.    The newer version can be gotten from
> > > http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html.   I believe that
> > > for correct operation, the card also requires the pci-scan
> > > module.
> >
> > The version is not going to be merged into the kernel as long as it
> > uses the pci-scan module.
>
> ... another indication that this is a political issue, not a technical
> one.  The pci-scan interface was a better technical approach, and
> existed before Jeff's PCI table code.  It solves the problem with PCI
> power management after warm booting from Windows, integrates PCI,
> hot-swap and CardBus drivers, and has other advantages.

1) The PCI table code is not mine.

2) Technical issues exist, which you ignore:  pci-scan still has bugs
you have not fixed, and it duplicates existing infrastructure.

3) No one on the linux kernel team thinks that pci-scan was a better
technical approach.  That is purely a matter of your own opinion.

> > I just finished merging important bits into the 2.4.x driver, so it will
> > support it soon.  (supports it now, if you want to check it out of
> > gkernel CVS)
>
> And, like many of the other updates that originated from my driver
> update set, it will go into the kernel without attribution.

Obviously you are missing the copyright updates at the top of the
driver, which clearly indicate (copyright 199X-200X Donald Becker), and
the changelog updates, which say "merge <this> change from Donald
Becker's tulip.c."

What else do you want?  Please tell me, I am more than happy to provide.

	Jeff

-