Re: Obsolete tulip.c in 2.2.18

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
> > > the newer version is 0.92, dated
> > > 4/17/2000.    The newer version can be gotten from
> > > http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html.   I believe that
> > > for correct operation, the card also requires the pci-scan
> > > module.
> >
> > The version is not going to be merged into the kernel as long as it
> > uses the pci-scan module.
>
> ... another indication that this is a political issue, not a technical
> one.

That's sad.   Silly me, I had hoped the Linux world could be relatively free
of that kind of dispute.

The technical issue (for me, anyway) is whether the kernel sources include
code that supports the LinkSys Ethernet card or whether I have to backpatch a
separate module every time I recompile the kernel.

> The pci-scan interface was a better technical approach, and
> existed before Jeff's PCI table code.  It solves the problem with PCI
> power management after warm booting from Windows, integrates PCI,
> hot-swap and CardBus drivers, and has other advantages.

Can someone without a stake in the result arbitrate this issue?

> > I just finished merging important bits into the 2.4.x driver, so it will
> > support it soon.  (supports it now, if you want to check it out of
> > gkernel CVS)
>
> And, like many of the other updates that originated from my driver
> update set, it will go into the kernel without attribution.

Don, your name is still conspicuously visible (as it should be) on the
tulip.c source and (as I recall) in the accompanying README also.   But maybe
it belongs elsewhere also.  I can't say.

Paul Abrahams

-