Re: StarOffice Server on a LAN (Hetrogenous OS)

assim falou admin@kilnar.com (em 16/01/2001):

> As far as I know, StarOffice does not offer an file sharing capabilities.
> You are looking for Samba which will allow you to create a Windows-like
> fileshare on a Linux box that people can access across the network. This
> will allow people to save their work in a shared environment which will
> allow for collaboration, easy backups and other benefits.

Yes, Samba is you ticket, but there's one pitfall. If you share a disk with
Samba so that Windows stations can use it, then you must use Samba also on the
Linux boxes to acccess those shares (via smbmount). If you export the same
filesystem with Samba for Windows stations and say, NFS for Linux and Unix ones,
you'll have problems.

Apparently, Windows stations build internal caches of networked shares contents
and uses SMB itself to keep the caches coherent. If a file is modified through
a mechanism other than SMB (i.e. NFS), than the Windows stations which had
previously accessed that file will refuse to update and the user will get the
old version until s/he reboots.

While it is possible to use smbmount on the Linux boxes to access those shares,
it's a lot slower, unsafe and less convenient than using NFS.

AFAIK, this is the only way to make Linux and Windows machines work coherently
on a shared filesystem, but it's sort of a "worst of both worlds" solution. If
anyone knows a better way to do this, please set me straight.

HTH

--
Jorge R. Csapo
 /"\