Re: StarOffice Server on a LAN (Hetrogenous OS)

On 16 Jan 2001, V O Y A G E R wrote:

> I want to install a StarOffice 5.2 server for my LAN which has mix
> operating systems. The operating systems are Windows 95, Windows NT
> 4.0 Windows 2000 and Red Hat Linux.
>
> All people on LAN will use this server from their workstations that
> have mixed operating systems on their end. And save all office
> documents on that server.
>
> I am not sure that how it is possible. The help with staroffice says
> that one can use startoffice for multi users on same system on which
> it is installed. It do not say anything how it can be used in the
> situations which I have.

StarOffice can be installed on a central server from which people can run
it, but if you install the Linux flavor of StarOffice, then only Linux
people will be able to run it... even if Windows can access the binaries.

As far as I know, StarOffice does not offer an file sharing capabilities.
You are looking for Samba which will allow you to create a Windows-like
fileshare on a Linux box that people can access across the network. This
will allow people to save their work in a shared environment which will
allow for collaboration, easy backups and other benefits.

--
John Evans

-