Re: Loading eth1 module before eth0 ?

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Yann Dirson wrote:

> I have 2 cards on my box (ne2k-pci and rtl8139), and want to autoload the
> drivers.  I have defined the eth0 / eth1 aliases accordingly.  It works fine
> when I first have eth0 loaded, and eth1 afterwards, but if I "modprobe eth1"
> with eth0 not loaded, the driver picks eth0... and subsequent ifconfig fail.
>
> * I did not find a way to tell the driver which interface it should pick up

You cannot.  The driver selects the next available interface name.

> * The Ethernet-HOWTO tells that just defining the aliases and using
> "modprobe ethN" is the way to go, which appears to be wrong.

The name "eth1" isn't passed to the driver.  The driver just knows that
it should find all supported cards.  It asks the code in
drivers/net/net_init.c for the next available name.

This issue comes up every few months.
Read the archives for the rationale.
If you care about assigning an IP address to a specific card, read the
station address and assign addresses based on that.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993

-