Re: Loading eth1 module before eth0 ?

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Yann Dirson wrote:
>
> > I have 2 cards on my box (ne2k-pci and rtl8139), and want to autoload the
> > drivers.  I have defined the eth0 / eth1 aliases accordingly.  It works fine
> > when I first have eth0 loaded, and eth1 afterwards, but if I "modprobe eth1"
> > with eth0 not loaded, the driver picks eth0... and subsequent ifconfig fail.
> >
> > * I did not find a way to tell the driver which interface it should pick up
>
> You cannot.  The driver selects the next available interface name.
>
> > * The Ethernet-HOWTO tells that just defining the aliases and using
> > "modprobe ethN" is the way to go, which appears to be wrong.

I've just added a paragraph to the howto that clarifies this.

[There was interface name choice via the deprecated
ether=<irq>,<i/o>,ethN
boot argument used for compiled in drivers, which did actually allow you
fix a certain ISA card to a specific ethN if you gave ether= for all
cards,
with non-zero i/o values. This was not its intended purpose though - it
was primarily for ISA cards configured to non-standard I/O placement.
Most PCI drivers don't pay any heed to ether= boot arguments, so this
really was just
an ISA-ism.]

> If you care about assigning an IP address to a specific card, read the
> station address and assign addresses based on that.

Didn't you mention at one point some scripts somewhere that people
could use for this (e.g. ifconfig | awk '/eth/ {print $6}' etc etc)
that the howto could point people towards?  (People tend to complain
less when handed a ready-made solution... ;)

Paul.