Re: Freesoftwares and GNU

Hi,

Here in Brazil the situation is much the same; we started using Linux for
production solutions about 5 years ago and back then it was impossible to find
people who had even heard of Linux, much less had experience in it. Today the
situation is much better but NT "professionals" still outnumber us by at least
2 orders of magnitude. We have been acting in a few different arenas to remedy
this problem:

1. Look for Unix professionals; they're easier to find than Linux ones and they
usually like Linux and start being productive with it right away when properly
co-opted.

2. Create/participate/promote Linux user groups. Help spread the word.

3. Use "internship" (I don't know the proper English word for this). In this
country, and I believe many others, there's a way to hire people while they're
still studying and the job you give them is part of their learning process,
usually counting as credits. These people are usually young and willing to
embrace new ways of doing things. Of course you'll have to teach them, a lot,
but the results can be impressive.

HTH

Jorge
assim falou V O Y A G E R (em 25/12/2000):
> Hi to all,
>
> I want to write a feature on Open Source/The Free Software Foundation/GNU
> Public Licence legislation. This should be in context of present situations of
> IT in my country. I belong to a third world country and IT is developing here
> for the last three years. The speed with which IT developed in last years is
> fantastic. But the problem is domination of Micro $oft. Now the thing/help
> which I want is examples where Open Source/The Free Software Foundation/GNU
> Public Licence legislation helped in situations which I describe above.
> One other problem is domination of Micro $oft in the market in context of
> professionals. We are running an ISP that is a complete Linux Based Solution.
> But when we go to market for hiring any guy for our operations we do not get
> any one who has expertise in linux, but that guy will be expert in M$ NT. If I
> recommend that my country (which I will be) promote Open Source then the
> problem of deficency of professionals will remain there.
>
> Any help,examples of other countries,URLs and suggestions in this regard will
> be wellcome and thanks in advance.

Jorge R. Csapo
 /"\
 \ / CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
  X  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
 / \