Re: Was I hacked or Flood Pinged?

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Ken Jansons wrote:

> I am a newbie and appreciate any help you could provide me with...

If you put up an unpatched redhat linux machine (any distribution,
including 7) without security updates on the public internet, I give you
approximately a week before you're hacked or rooted. Most likely it'll
take less than that time.

There are plenty of people running scans for for instance ftpd and lpd
vulnerabilities of the entire internet and then using various exploits to
hack and root the boxes.

Personally, I think all linuxen should have a stage in the startup after
an install where it automatically checks for security updates and prompts
the user that these services are vulnerable and offer to update them or
disable them.

It's catastrophic today, I would bet $100 that there is at least 10.000
rooted unix boxen out there. It's a huge problem.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se

-