Re: ARP Cache Timeout question

My original reason for asking this question was that entries
appeared to stay in the ARP cache (up to 10 minutes) for much longer
than the ARP cache timers seemed to indicate.

I've since "discovered" the useful -s option to "ip neigh list". This
helped me understand a little better. Here's my attempt to answer
my own question. Is this accurate?

An ARP entry is a candidate to be removed gc_stale_time seconds
after last used.
Garbage collection runs every gc_interval seconds which is when
the entry can be deleted.
However, an ARP cache entry will not be removed while there is a
reference to it such as route cache entry. The ARP cache entry will
move from reachable to stale state in the normal time but stays
stale until the route cache entry is removed.
The route cache may keep an entry for several minutes even
with no traffic or sessions to that address. So after the route cache
entry is removed, the reference to the ARP cache entry goes away.
Then next time ARP cache garbage collection runs the entry will be
removed.

Paul Staniforth

-