Re: MMIO ne2k-pci? (was Re: [patch] NE2000)

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> On another topic completely, I want to start moving drivers over to
> doing MMIO instead of PIO, where possibly, in 2.5.x.  I am pretty sure
> some if not most PCI NE2K clones can do MMIO.  Any known NE2K MMIO
> bugs?   [again, this is 2.5.x material, so its not around the corner]

I imagine this is one of those "dont know until you try it" type deals.
I'd be disappointed if at least one of the clones didn't break in some
mysterious and unexplainable way. ;-)  IIRC, Donald recently mentioned
something about one of the el-cheapo chipsets (not ne2k-pci) doing
something strange when using MMIO - but I can't find the message now...

You wouldn't be able to share an 8390.o anymore - I guess you would
have to play the usual #undef games with inb etc. at the top of 8390.c
then compile with -DUSE_MMIO and then bundle 8390.o with ne2k-pci.o

Have to keep in mind that PCI ne2k clones still have an 8390 at their
core - an SMP unfriendly chunk of history that is similar in vintage
to other long forgotten relics like the 3c501.  Given the above, is it
really worth the grief of going MMIO?   [Anyone that intentionally buys
one of these for a SMP box or a server deserves a boot to the head IMHO]

Paul.