Re: [patch] NE2000

Peter Denison wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
>
> [snip discussion about removing PCI code from ne.c]
>
> > [ I've several other 8390 related patches I've been sitting on - trying
> > to not contribute to the delay of 2.4.0 unless explicitly asked, such
> > as the 8390.h get_module_symbol deletion.  Other 8390 patches I have
> > are a separated Tx timeout for 8390.c, kill off dev->rmem_start/end
> > and use ioremap() where required, and replace old check/request_region()
> > with code that makes use of the newer resource structures. ]
>
>         I'd thought it was quite important to get drivers doing
> ioremap() properly before 2.4.0, since the whinging messages along the
> lines of "io mapaddr 0x????? not valid at ..." are only really going to be
> tolerated in a development kernel, and will look a bit shoddy in 2.4.0.
>         The complaining has been there for quite a while, so we really
> should have got our finger out and done the ioremap() thing (or at least
> used isa_xxx functions) where needed. I agree, however, that thinking
> seriously hard before delaying 2.4.0 now is a Good Thing (TM).

I think isa_ioremap is good enough for 2.4.x... If the driver works, I
don't want to touch it.  But if you are in there touching the code
anyway, and doing testing anyway, you might as well fix it to do ioremap
correctly...

On another topic completely, I want to start moving drivers over to
doing MMIO instead of PIO, where possibly, in 2.5.x.  I am pretty sure
some if not most PCI NE2K clones can do MMIO.  Any known NE2K MMIO
bugs?   [again, this is 2.5.x material, so its not around the corner]

	Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik             | Dinner is ready when
Building 1024           | the smoke alarm goes off.