Re: [patch] NE2000

Peter Denison wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
>
> > Other 8390 patches I have
> > are a separated Tx timeout for 8390.c, kill off dev->rmem_start/end
> > and use ioremap() where required, and replace old check/request_region()
> > with code that makes use of the newer resource structures. ]
>
>         I'd thought it was quite important to get drivers doing
> ioremap() properly before 2.4.0, since the whinging messages along the
> lines of " ..." are only really going to be
> tolerated in a development kernel, and will look a bit shoddy in 2.4.0.

The ioremap patch I did for 8390 based cards was circa Dec 1999, and the
impression I got at the time was that the isa_xxx stuff was good enough
for 2.4.0 - the cleanup could wait until 2.5.x - and so I shelved it.
I may dust it off and merge the EISA part of it since isa_xxx in
an EISA driver looks kind of silly though.

>         The complaining has been there for quite a while, so we really
> should have got our finger out and done the ioremap() thing (or at least
> used isa_xxx functions) where needed. I agree, however, that thinking
> seriously hard before delaying 2.4.0 now is a Good Thing (TM).

If you have some reports of drivers still causing "io mapaddr 0x?????
not valid" then please share them - in particular at least the driver
name.

Thanks,
Paul.