Re: Newsgroups

Against my better judgement, and at the risk of prolonging something
that *should* be allowed to die...

Glynn Clements wrote:

> Matti Aarnio wrote:
>
> >       You are asking advice on how to use some particular USERSPACE
> >       APPLICATION.  This forum is for Linux operating system networking
> >       subsystem development topics.  (And to a limited degree on how
> >       to configure/operate parts of it.)
>
> I recall hearing that rumour (the one about this list being about
> kernel-level networking) a while back. Far enough back that I wouldn't
> expect most subscribers to remember it.
>
> If this list /is/ intended for kernel (rather than userspace)
> networking issues, then:
>
> 1. The "Welcome to linux-net" message from Majordomo should probably
> say so. Otherwise there isn't any reason to suspect that userspace
> networking is off-topic.

I agree completely with this.  The "Welcome to linux-net" said, in it's
(recent) entirety:

"Welcome to the linux-net mailing list!

Please save this message for future reference.  Thank you.

you can send mail to <Majordomo@vger.rutgers^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hkernel.edu>
with the following command in the body of your email message:

#### No info available for linux-net."

OK: so, no info available. Figure it out on your own...

> 2. Off-topic posts should be handled consistently. There have been
> plenty of posts which, while farther off topic than the one in
> question, never received any such comments.

Here, I think Mr Aarnio's -- ah, irritation? -- (which I will say was
actually cloaked with a considerable amount of useful information,
albeit tersely stated ;-) -- probably came from the fact that Mr
SoloCDM's first post was pretty short of detail, and poorly phrased, to
boot:

Let me quote:

"I'm using Netscape as the MUA and I also want to use it to read
newsgroups.  1) But, how do I port the subscribed newsgroup messages
from the ISP without acting as an innd server?  2) How do I sort the
messages to the individual users?  3) How do I sort the messages at
the individual user, for the individual's folders."

What?

OK: he's apparently using Netscape as a mail and newsreader, and I guess
he's wanting to take a newsfeed without using innd (or any newsserver?),
and then he wants to know how to sort messages to individual users, but
we don't know how he's gonna handle his newsfeed, and then he's back to
sorting messages (news?) at the individual user level (which Netscape
would do as his user agent) See: his first statement.

I'm sorry: it's the basic kind of poorly phrased, "Here's what I kinda
think I want to do, now *you* clarify what it is I'm trying to do, *and*
when you get it figured out for me, tell me how to do it!"

I thought it was pretty weak when I read it, myself.

Anyway, I hope I haven't beaten a dead horse back to life, here..

It's probably pretty frustrating for a (any) list when a significant
number of posts are not focused on the actual topic, but are only
somewhat close.

And the frustration is probably worsened when a given post is unclear at
best, and seems to expect the respondents to do all the work.

Later..

- John

--
John Sage