Re: configuring Email client for linux

On Thu Aug 10 2000 at 18:05, "surinder singh" wrote:

> I am using eudora as email client.

for linux???  (no, I assume windows or mac)

> i am not running pop3d on the linux Red Hat 6.2 so receiving mail is not
> possible as eudora can fetch mails from POP or IMAP servers only.

Why not run pop3d on your linux box?  Easy to do.  But only, of
course, if your linux box is where the email for your eudora user is
being sent for collection.

But it seems to me that you are confused... there is a big
difference between sending email and receiving it.

To send email to a specific box, it needs a mail server daemon
listening on port 25, and MX records point to it (or another "relay"
mail server specifically configured to deliver specific email to
that box, eg, using a mailertable).

To recieve or send email as a user, you can do it any number of
ways that doesn't necessarily involve the use of a smtp daemon...

- collect from the local mailbox (eg, /var/spool/mail/<user> on unix
  boxes) where email is collected and put there by the system itself
  (eg, internal mail or if a local mail server is running to collect
  it from elsewhere).

- collect from either an IMAP or POP server.

If a pop server is running on your main mail server where your email
is getting sent, then you can use a POP client (eg, eudora or
fetchmail or whatever) to collect it from there.

> The SMTP server is running so it should be able to send mails. If I try

You don't need an smtp server running as a daemon to send email,
only to RECIEVE email.  In fact, if your system isn't a mail server,
then DO NOT RUN A MAIL DAEMON on that box!  You don't need it.

It is possible to get local mail agents to run /usr/sbin/sendmail
directly for posting outgoing email.  POP clients like fetchmail by
default attempt to connect to a local port 25, but it can also be
configured to run sendmail or procmail directly for local delivery.

> sending mail from the linux a/c in eudora, i am getting
> '550 <surindersingh@bflsoftware.com> ... Relaying denied'

Yes, you would get that.  Read the documentation for sendmail.  It
is almost certainly a DNS problem, at least initially.  But you
probably also need entries in

You probably need to set up a genericstable entry to "masquerade"
your login address to your real email address (since your linux box
doesn't have DNS or MX entries).

> If i send/receive mails using telnet everything is okay ( receiving was
> possible due to Mikkel just few hours back).

But that would involve directly connecting to a destination host to
deliver it, rather than using the DNS/MX records that mail servers
need to use.

Cheers
Tony
-