Re: configuring Email client for linux

Thanks Mikkel Again.

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" wrote:

> Well, let me see if I can help again...  To use Eudora to read your mail
> from the local Linux machine, you have to have a pop or imap server running
> on the Linux machine - sendmail does not handle local mail retreval.  The
> IMAP rpm should have the files you need in it.  Let us know if you need
> help getting them working.  Eudora can be configured to get your mail from
> your ISP, and to send replies out using your ISP's mail server...

Now i installed ipop3d and running it as deamon. Earlier i was avoiding pop3 as
the #mail command was receiving without it,  so I felt that mails can be
retrieved without it and thought problem is somewhere else.

> To get sendmail to accept mail from Eudora running on a machine on your
> local network, and going to the internet, you will have to tell sendmail
> that it is ok to relay mail from this machine.  To do this, you will have
> to add the machine you are running Eudora on to the /etc/mail/access file.
> Add:
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx         RELAY
> (replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the real IP address, or the host name.)
> Then you have to rebuild the file by running "makmap hash access < access"
> The will rebuild the access.db file.

I made the following entry
164.164.58             RELAY
and mails can be sent from whole 164.164.58.xxx  as intended.

I realise that sending/receiving mails using telnet is quite different than
doing same with extenal mail clients like eudora or netscape messanger. We can
send mail from any machine that can access the linux machine using telnet but
for external clients we need entry in /etc/mail/access.db file of their IP.
Also for receiving, external client need pop deamon running while mail or pine
doesn't.

> You may still run into problems sending mail, unless you have set up
> sendmail to use the mail server on your ISP as a smart relay host.
> The reasion for this is that a lot of systems reject mail from hosts that
> they can not do a dns lookup on.

Right now this is my experimental work. I cann't have dns entry on my
organisation's dns server. But i will surely take care when it is real server.

> Mikkel
> --
>
>     Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
>  for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

We are having firewall at our organisation so receiving mails from outside
organisation will not be possible until access for this IP is allowed from
outside. I got one linux machine here in  the organisation and trying to
implement something in intranet.

Please suggest me some source where i could get detailed information about
linux. Most of the literature i have found, it is like telling a procedure for
something. I also want concepts about things.

Thanks again for your valuable support.

Regards.
Surinder

-