Re: Using dbecker's updated drivers

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Roisman, Dani wrote:

> If I want to use the updated eepro100.c driver from scyld, can I simply
> replace my /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/eepro100.c file with a copy I
> downloaded from scyld, and recompile my kernel?

At the request of Linus, I moved most of the kernel-version-dependent PCI
code, including CardBus/hot-swap support and power management, from the
drivers into a support module named 'pci-scan'.  The rest of the kernel
version support is in a new compatibility header file named "kern_compat.h".

This has proven to be a mistake: Linus didn't want the cross-version
compatibility removed, he actually wanted drivers updates to only support
2.3.  And none of the support code was allowed into the 2.2 kernel.

The end result is that rather than updating the driver by just downloading a
single *.c file, you must download four or five files and load two modules.

> The documentation on http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html give
> information on how to build as modules, etc, but doesn't seem to give me the
> answer to this question.

You need to add 'pci-scan.o' to the drivers/net/Makefile
-  L_OBJS  := auto_irq.o
+  L_OBJS  := auto_irq.o pci-scan.

New drivers lines similar to the following to update the configuration
table, configuration documentation and probe list.
________________
/* Automatically extracted configuration info:
probe-func: winbond840_probe
config-in: tristate 'Winbond W89c840 Ethernet support' CONFIG_WINBOND_840

c-help-name: Winbond W89c840 PCI Ethernet support
c-help-symbol: CONFIG_WINBOND_840
c-help: This driver is for the Winbond W89c840 chip.  It also works with
c-help: the TX9882 chip on the Compex RL100-ATX board.
c-help: More specific information and updates are available from
c-help: http://www.scyld.com/network/drivers.html
*/