Re: Forced Routing?

Good day...

Fair enough, yes, it will be compulsary to route.  The problem is just, that
the 100+ (even 500 for that matter - the Server room should be able to take
up to 1000 PCs at any given time) servers in the server room, will be
configured by our clients, and NOT by our staff.  Therefor, it is neccessary
for us to say something in the lines of:

Dear client,

your IP address(es) are:  192.168.10.1 -> 192.168.10.8
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

and it should work :)

Therefor, having routes on a software level (ie: specifying default gateways
or routing table on the software side) won't neccessarily be the awnser.  If
we perhaps have one client which is crumpy and want to cause problem, he
will be able to mess things up in more than one way in the server farm by
changing his routing table and the like.

To be honest here, I realise this is as a routing matter as routing can be,
but I need to have this routing "scheme" forced throughout the entire server
farm.  Regardless of the number of PCs in the farm, the number of IP
addresses, or anything like that.  The only reason why the server farm is
limited to 1000 PCs (max) at this time, is because we only have enough
office space for server cabinets to cater for 1000 PCs.

Cabling and all those stuff is sub-floor, so we are not to concirned about
having a mess of cables running arround.  The importaint thing is that it
will work, and that it will be affordable. I realise having a hardware based
routing (such as routers and switches and hubs), are expensive, but it is
exactly for this reason that we want the solution to be as cost effective as
possible.  And it must be secure, reliable, and perform...

Regards,
Chris Knipe
Cell: (083) 430-8151
Natural ability has more often attained to glory and virtue, than education
without natural ability at all.