Samba and nmbd

Dear all,

I am a Linux beginner (how many of you say 'Linn-ucks' and how many say
'Lie-nux'?) who on saturday, with great joy and after much sweat and blood,
got my Samba enabled Linux to Win98 two pc home network working. I
celebrated with a very long session at Civilisation Call to Power. However,
next day my Samba network worked not, straight away after boot, and I had
changed not a thing. Pinging is cool, my workgroup is visible but
unbrowsable and Corel's (I have the CLOS distribution) Event Viewer reports
that nmbd is looping and is being terminated. How can this have come to be?
I changed nothing.

I have chacked the entries in inetd re smbd and nmbd and they are as I left
them. I wondered if it was a maintain server list type of problem so added
lines in smb.conf to make the Linux box the master browser. Didn't work.
Pinging as I say works fine so basically I am at a loss to understand the
problem. Any help will be smiled upon by the gods.

Thanking yous

Toby Russell

trussl@hotmail.com