Re: Help on creating a email server

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 04:30:06PM +0200, Francine MUSWELE LAKOH wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm a newcomer in Linux world and till today I've
> mostly  worked as a user of Microsoft Products.

	Well, I try to give some answer usable in generic UNIX-like
	environments, independent of what exact flavour the system is..

> My aim is to create a email server according to the
> following requierements:
>
> 1. Usage of  computers which have a 486 Processor for
>    most users

	No problem, use whatever hardware you have available
	which meets minimum facility requirements -- e.g. 486.

> 2. We have in my country, Democratic Republic of
>    Congo, a very low telephone network

	I take that to mean "a very bad telephone network" -- such
	might cause problems at e.g. running TCP/IP connections
	and thus harming interactive connectivity.

> 3. I want to work mostly with TCP/IP

	Not necessarily the best choice in all cases.
	For email transfer in between machines a dialup connection
	running e.g. UUCP might make more sense.

	How your local UUCP connected enclave routes email to and from
	the large world is a long story in itself, but it need not
	appear in that classical ( host.domain!user ) address format
	at all outside -- nor even inside for machine to machine links.

> 4. I want to create by myself the reader of messages

	The world is full of different mail-user-agents.  Creating
	your own is of course educational, but perhaps your time
	would be better spent by e.g. creating your native language
	support (several for Kongo, I seem to recall) for some
	existing software, for example to  mutt  ( www.mutt.org )

> 5. I want to get more informations on features made,
>    which will not requires a lot of money.

	With lots of free software around, all you need is electricity
	to run the computer, and time.

	Look for  http://freshmeat.net/  and  http://sourceforge.net/
	for various softwares/projects which have registered pointers
	for themselves.  You will find a dozen of things which are
	almost what you want, but only if you tweak them a bit...
	(As you can use Yahoo, I infer from that that you will be
	 able to surf the web also.)

> Thanks a lot for all information and try to excuse
> mistakes (my english is very poor).
> Bye.

/Matti Aarnio
-