OT: Re: a vir for w9x (I think)

[First, I apologize for starting this on the list; I meant to reply off the
list]

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Scott Long wrote:

> I believe his suggestion was in order to improve quality-of-life on this
> list, not to solve his own problems. I do not enjoy receiving VBS
> viruses, regardless of my platform. They waste list bandwidth in the
> same way you are suggesting that he is wasting it.

If someone misconfigures their system to loop the list, we unsub them. If
their system is misconfigured to spam the list (with viruses or
otherwise) we should do nothing different.

> Your quip about platform susceptibility, however true it may be, is
> simply another form of the idiotic "Well if you don't like it, then use
> Linux! Linux rules!" I have used Linux since the outset (how many can
> say that) and yet I am still irritated by zealotry.

I only even mentioned Linux because the user *IS* posting to a Linux
list. I believe many other OSes would also work well, but I have the most
experience with Linux.

> Manager: "We're getting VBScript viruses left and right. Any
> suggestions?"
>
> Minion #1: "Well I've put together a small MTA filter to address the
> issue. It filters out the ma--"
>
> Minion #2: "NOOOOO! NOOOOOO! SWITCH TO LINUX! SWITCH TO LINUX! SWITCH TO
> LINUX!"

Well, Minion #1s suggestion doesn't actually fix anything. But we weren't
talking about what the people are doing at their own site. We're talking
about a mailing list and I don't think it's appropriate to install band-aids
for problems which are pretty much MS windows specific.

Frankly, IMHO any windows user who doesn't at least complain to their
vendor about the viruses is a irresponsible consumer.

-