Routing performance monitoring

I am doing experiments to test out Linux's forwarding performance. I have a
Linux box setup in the forwarding mode, to which I have connected a source
and a sink (two other Linux boxes) (100 BT Ethernet). At around 20 K pps (64
bytes), the CPU utilization of the Linux router box is 26 %, but the Linux
router starts dropping packets. When I debug using netstat, I see that the
router is receiving 20 K packets (in 1 sec) , but is forwarding fewer than
20 K packets. But netstat does not report any drops at the output interface
or any collisions.

Are there any tools which could help locate the problem? Are there any test
results for Linux router's performance on different machines? Also are there
pointers to improve the forwarding performance of the routing code.

Thanks.

Irfan
-