Re: ipchains working with more than 1 public IP

At 07:24 PM 4/07/00 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Kernel Panic wrote:
>
>> I need that the ipchains server work with many publics  ips,
>> because some irc servers kick to my users by "clones"
>> It is possible with ipchains ? (router cisco with nat work fine)
>> Regards, Fabian
>> btw: sorry for my english
>>
>What you need to do is get the ident daemon that works with IP
>masquarding, and run it on your firewall, as well as the machines inside
>the firewall.  As I understand it, what is happening is that when the irc
>server asks your machine who is trying to connect, the standard identd
>looks, see's the user isn't local, and returns a default ID.  So as far as
>the irc server is concerned, all the users behind the firewall are the
>same user.
>
>I don't remember what the package is called, but you can serch on
>freshmeat.net for ident and masquarade.

One that I use is called oidentd, the latest version is 1.6.4 and the
homepage is http://ojnk.sourceforge.net/ (freshmeat seems to be down)

As you say, clones are just users with the same ip address and ident - and
are considered by ircops to be the same person fooling around. Using an
ident forwarder like this at least gives you seperate and valid idents, so
usually you're safe from being considered a clone. Some nazi ircops will
still kick you for having the same ip address on some networks though, your
mileage may vary :)

Regards,
Simon

-