Re: ipchains working with more than 1 public IP

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Kernel Panic wrote:

> I need that the ipchains server work with many publics  ips,
> because some irc servers kick to my users by "clones"
> It is possible with ipchains ? (router cisco with nat work fine)
> Regards, Fabian
> btw: sorry for my english

What you need to do is get the ident daemon that works with IP
masquarding, and run it on your firewall, as well as the machines inside
the firewall.  As I understand it, what is happening is that when the irc
server asks your machine who is trying to connect, the standard identd
looks, see's the user isn't local, and returns a default ID.  So as far as
the irc server is concerned, all the users behind the firewall are the
same user.

I don't remember what the package is called, but you can serch on
freshmeat.net for ident and masquarade.

Mikkel

-