Re: ubifs: mounting fails due to error in orphan file handling

On 2/5/20 9:22 AM, Miquel Raynal wrote:
"Driesen Jef (JDI)" <Jef.Driesen@xxxxxxx> wrote on Tue, 28
Jan 2020 10:51:39 +0000:

I'm not really sure what's going on under the hood, but it looks like a
problem with the handling of the orphan files. With this knowledge, we
are now able to reproduce the problem reliable, by doing a power cut
while running the attached script. The scripts creates many files in a
loop, keeps them all open and removes them again. With this approach we
hit the problem about once every two attempts.

The problem appeared for the first time after we switched from kernel
v4.7 to v5.3. I tried with v5.4 and master too, in case we are hitting a
problem that is already fixed, but they show the same problem. After
doing some bisecting, this commit appears to have introduced the problem:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/fs/ubifs/orphan.c?id=ee1438ce5dc4d67dd8dd1ff51583122a61f5bd9e

How can we fix this?

Just adding Richard into the loop, he is not available right now but
will probably be interested by this issue. On my side, I have no clue :)

Thanks. If additional info is needed, or some extra testing is necessary, just ask. I'm happy to help to get this fixed.

For now, we have reverted the above commit. That appears to work (e.g. no more device that fail to boot), but I'm not convinced it's a good long-term solution.

Jef