Re: UBIFS: file data corruption during the power cut-off test

Hello Steve,

Please see my comment below.

On Fri, 2019-06-07 at 09:01 -0700, Steve deRosier wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 7:24 AM Sergei Poselenov <
> sposelenov@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello Richard,
> >
> > On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 20:13:07 +0200 Richard Weinberger <
> > richard.weinberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Please show in detail what you are doing, on syscall level, and
> > > what
> > > the expected output is.
> > >

> > Here is my test:
> > However, upon retry of the very same test from the beginning (with
> > the power cut-off in the middle) it's easily to have the content of
> > test2 (exactly the last 512 bytes in my case) which doesn't match
> > test0, so "dd if=test2 of=test0 conv=notrunc" will result in test0
> > with a different checksum.
> >

> IMHO, your test is invalid and it's your expectations that are wrong.
> The file didn't finish writing because you did a power-cut. If I had
> to guess, those exactly "last 512 bytes", are the size of your page
> or
> subpage on the NAND flash, and I'd bet they're filled with 0xFF.
Actually, in that last subpage I've seen 512 bytes of zeroes, or some
other data, but never 0xff.
> Unlike other filesystem media, writing flash media is done in pages,
> where they're erased and then written, and erasing and writing is
> slow
> and complex process.
>
> If I had to continue my guessing - the valid portion of the file
> test2
> that was successfully written is not a multiple of your NAND's page
> size.  Likely you've got 2Kb pages with 4 512 byte subpages.  The
> last
> page of that flash that was written for that file wrote three of the
> four subpages.  When you `dd` the file overwrite the existing file,
Looks like you are right, what I'm seeing is that only 3 of 4 512-bytes
subpages written correctly.

So, you are saying that the NAND controller (or the kernel device
driver?) returned "success" for the "4K page write" operation, while
that wasn't actually true?

Thanks!

Regards,
Sergei