Re: UBIFS: file data corruption during the power cut-off test

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 7:24 AM Sergei Poselenov <sposelenov@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Richard,
>
> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 20:13:07 +0200 Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 8:08 PM Sergei Poselenov <sposelenov@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > This is understood. However, on the file length that is written to the partition, I'd expect that the file content will be the same as in the original file. This is not so.
> > > Is it expected, or is it a deficiency of UBI?
> >
> > Please show in detail what you are doing, on syscall level, and what
> > the expected output is.
> >

> Here is my test:
>
> However, upon retry of the very same test from the beginning (with the power cut-off in the middle) it's easily to have the content of test2 (exactly the last 512 bytes in my case) which doesn't match test0, so "dd if=test2 of=test0 conv=notrunc" will result in test0 with a different checksum.

IMHO, your test is invalid and it's your expectations that are wrong.
The file didn't finish writing because you did a power-cut. If I had
to guess, those exactly "last 512 bytes", are the size of your page or
subpage on the NAND flash, and I'd bet they're filled with 0xFF.
Unlike other filesystem media, writing flash media is done in pages,
where they're erased and then written, and erasing and writing is slow
and complex process.

If I had to continue my guessing - the valid portion of the file test2
that was successfully written is not a multiple of your NAND's page
size.  Likely you've got 2Kb pages with 4 512 byte subpages.  The last
page of that flash that was written for that file wrote three of the
four subpages.  When you `dd` the file overwrite the existing file,
you corrupt it yourself by using the no-trim option - for each page
from the start of test0, it erases, writes the page from test2, until
it gets to the last page of test2 where it erases the page, writes
three subpages, and leaves the last subpage as erased, but now you've
got invalid data in the middle of your file because you don't trim the
size to the write and so the erased data is now part of your file.

You're seeing a hardware effect and expecting a software result.

Simple fact is - a power cut when writing a large file, even with sync
on, will result in an invalid (short) file.  UBIFS (nor ANY
filesystem) can not protect against that. UBIFS is doing it's job by
making sure your filesystem is still usable after the power cut
despite it being in the middle of a write.  Which, since your system
is booting and you're not posting any kernel logs showing corrupted
filesystem, it seems to me that UBIFS is doing what it is supposed to.

If you want to understand more, the mtd website is a good start, and
you should absolutely read all the datasheets and app notes for the
flash device and the NAND interface you're using.

- Steve