Re: VIRTIO iface in mtd

On 18.01.2019 22:25, Richard Weinberger wrote:
Hi!

Sorry for joining this discussion so late.
I didn't notice the private mails. ;-\
No problem :)

Am Freitag, 18. Januar 2019, 21:44:55 CET schrieb Boris Brezillon:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 21:03:17 +0100
Marcin Krzemiński <mar.krzeminski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My understanding is that this driver will use VIRTIO to communicate
with Qemu. From Qemu side at the end there will be a file that will
simulate NAND/NOR. Is it correct?
That's my understanding, but I'm not really a virtio or qemu expert so
I might be wrong.
What use cases do you have in mind for this?
I have one in mind: simulate NAND (in particular MLC NAND) behavior in
a pseudo-realistic way to validate UBI/UBIFS code (or any other
FS/wear-leveling/FTL code) we might want to use on top of such devices
In this place my question is what we remove from emulation?
I understand that communication layer is removed, however communication
protocol
need t o stay? Eg. because NAND and OOB.
If by protocol you mean the fact that a NAND has an out-of-band and an
in-band area, then yes, we want to emulate that. What I meant by
"protocol" was the how you interact with a parallel or SPI NAND ("send
this opcode to do this or that"), and we definitely don't want to
emulate that part.

I'd also like to replace nandsim by this emulation approach. Indeed,
nandsim is emulating the parallel NAND protocol more than anything
else, which we don't really care about unless we need to test the raw
NAND framework (and I think there are better solutions to do that). On
the other hand, because nandsim tries to use the full raw NAND stack,
it's often hard to emulate real devices (ID-based detection does not
work for ONFI/JEDEC compatible devices). All of this makes nandsim a
poor choice when the user wants to emulate a NAND device to do
post-mortem analysis using a NAND dump.
This I need to understand better. If we eg. have NAND dump, do we care
with OOB or ECC,
or not?
Yes we should. For the ECC part, it will be hard to emulate HW ECC
engine, but we can at least specify the layout in use on the board
(which OOB portions are used to store ECC bytes and which ones are
containing user data or bad block markers).

At the end I also need to add, that I understand NOR devices, but
unfortunately
I have low experience with NANDs. This could lead to some misunderstands :(
We can help with that.
Yes, I'll happily help.

I'm unhappy with nandsim mostly because it emulates the chip itself, which is
these days almost useless and inefficient.
To find bugs in nand_base.c it helps only in theory, in reality we trigger
bugs in nandsim's NAND emulation.
I guess it could help to catch regression...

I tried to overhaul nandsim some time ago:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/8/31/67
But Boris convinced me that I should not ride a dead horse. ;-)

So, the basic idea is having a simple and stupid kernel-driver which implements
the MTD interface and can act like whatever we want.
The logic shall happen in an emulator like qemu.
Think of virtio-blk or virtio-scsi.
That seem to be reasonable and mach my understand of the topic.
MTD driver would be nothing more that translator between MTD and Qemu (over virtio). As Boris suggested and additional channel to modify Qemus behavior from guest (eg. inserting ECC errors)?
Eg. from sysf?

Real unknown for me is Qemu part. Eg. basic question how does NAND dumps should look like?
It should consist only real data or sectors images(with OOB). Or both?

Beside of emulating various flashes, I have mostly testing in mind.
Testing like power-cut emulation, io logging and replay, simulation of
MLC issues (paired-pages), ...
Thanks,
Marcin

Thanks,