From: Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 2:30 PM
To: Yong Qin <Yong.Qin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Yogesh Narayan Gaur <yogeshnarayan.gaur@xxxxxxx>; Tudor Ambarus <tudor.ambarus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; cyrille.pitchen@xxxxxxxxxx; James Tomasetta <James.Tomasetta@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Jimmy Zhao <jimmy.zhao@xxxxxxx>; linux-mtd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SPI-NOR FS512S incorrect CR3NV[1] value

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 20:27:53 +0100
Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 19:21:51 +0000
> Yong Qin <Yong.Qin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi Boris,
> >
> > Thanks for pointing this out.
> >
> > Confirmed with our product team, this is the part of datasheet
> > discrepancy. Since FS512S only has 256KB sector size option,
> > CR3NV[1] is don't care in FS512S and default value is set as 0 in factory.
> >
> > Column 3 (CR3NV[1]) of table 70 in datasheet will be removed.
> >
> > For software implementation, if identified the device is FS512S,
> > then checking the combination of CR3NV[3]  & CR1NV[2] is sufficient
> > to decide if the device has top/bottom 4KB sectors, or uniform 256KB
> > sectors.
>
> Again, fixing the datasheet is not enough, the SMPT section on the
> flash needs to be fixed too.

To be honest, it's already too late for this part, but please try to avoid this sort of mistakes on your future chips.

This message and any attachments may contain confidential information from Cypress or its subsidiaries. If it has been received in error, please advise the sender and immediately delete this message.