Re: How to organize UBI volumes and power crash

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 9:43 AM "Мясоедов А.Ю." <myasoedovau@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I use UBIFS at my device. I'd like 2 UBIFS volumes, first volume for

There is no such thing. You guess mean UBI volumes.
A UBIFS filesystem always sits ontop of a UBI volume.

> work purposes, and second volume for logs omly. RootFS is in RAM.
>
> Both volumes are R/W, but the first volume is not intended for permanent
> writing. The second volume is intended for permanent writing (logs and
> some data tables).
>
> The second volume may be failured in casual power crash. But the first
> volume would work.

Both UBI and UBIFS must not corrupt upon a powercut, if you face such an
issue, please report. This could be a bug or a hardware problem.

> Will it be safe to have only 1 mfd device, and 2 UBI volume on the mtd
> device? Or I must to have 2 separate mtd devices with one UBI volume on
> each? The second approach is not suitable because of device tree
> modifications when I want to change volume sizes/

The general recommendation is having the MTD partition and therefore the UBI
device as large as possible such that the wear leveling large.

--
Thanks,
//richard