mkfatimage16 & mkfatimage utilities

Both need removing from dosemu since neither format hdimages such that they're recognized as proper dos media when say mdir c: is run on the hdimage file.
A better way to do this is:
mformat -C -b  c: >hdimage
What does this get you?
Two things.
First doing mdir c: when finished shows you have a dos hard drive on the system. Second, try running dosemu after that and two symbolic links get created to drive_c and drive_z which never happened before. For me to go further, I have to create a default.sf2 file for fluidsynth and that will involve me finding and temporarily plugging in another sound card and switching alsa over to that so fluidsynth can have hw:00 for the default sound font.