Re: SoundBlaster drivers

Stas Sergeev <stsp@xxxxxxx> writes:

> 28.01.2019 2:40, Brent Busby пишет:
>> SoundBlaster drivers bundled with Windows 3.1?

> https://www.pcjs.org/disks/pcx86/windows/3.10/
> Disk 3 contains
> |SNDBLST DR_ 10122 03-10-92 3:10a |
> |||SNDBLST2 DR_ 10445 03-10-92 3:10a|
> |
> ||Google has all answers, try things out.

In the whole time I used to run DOS and Windows 3.1 (ages ago), I always
ran the Creative Labs drivers and never knew Windows shipped with them.

Yes, the Windows-bundled SB driver installs correctly in DOSEMU, and if
you also install the MPU-401 driver, two-way MIDI communication with
hardware on the Linux host works!  This was very important for me, since
Wine is unable to provide working MIDI for 16-bit apps (an old
deficiency they may never get around to fixing), and true virtual
machines like QEMU don't provide a way to get SoundBlaster MIDI i/o
outside the VM on the host's hardware.  DOSEMU wins again...

(Addendum: Actually, if you just want SoundBlaster MIDI i/o from bare
DOS in QEMU, SoftMPU is a TSR that can divert the i/o to a COM port,
where you can pick it up in QEMU's serial port emulation.  That trick
only works in straight DOS though, and doesn't help for WIN16 stuff.)

--
		+ "The introduction of a new kind of music must