Re: Emulated PCI devices?

> Its just that usually when you have some expensive HW, emulating it
> in software is not enough because the HW is usually doing something
> useful, not just makes some program to work. :)  If you don't need
> any functionality of that HW other than to make some DOS prog happy,

Sort of.  It's a (relatively-)high-speed input device, and we plan to
replace it with either a pre-canned data file or a network connection
as a data source.  But, even once the host machine has the data, we
have to get it into the program somehow.  I could replace all the
relevant hardware accesses with traps to the emulator, but I could also
simulate the hardware it's expecting.  I thought the latter was at
least worth looking at; it would have the benefit that it would be
running an identical software image to a real machine with real
hardware, making some kinds of debugging and verification easier.

> then I am afraid dosemu is not prepared for that, and you'll need to
> implement the PCI emulator (in which case you can try qemu).

OK, I'll talk with the other people invovled and we'll decide what tack
to take: hack on the program, add PCI emulation to dosemu, switch
emulators, whatever.

Many thanks for all your help.  Even if we end up switching away from
it, dosemu has been extremely helpful in this endeavour!

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx