Re: Emulated PCI devices?

19.10.2016 03:03, Mouse пишет:
I'm working with dosemu and would like to add an emulated PCI device
to the emulated DOS machine.  [...]
Is this something that's already got hooks supporting it, or am I
breaking new ground here?
There was never any need to emulate the PCI device for DOS.  There
are hardly too many DOS drivers for the PCI devices.
In general, perhaps not. :-)

Maybe you can instead emulate the ISA version of that device,
As far as I know, no ISA version has ever existed - and, indeed, the
particular device in question has just recently been EOLed by its
maker.

Or maybe you simply want to use qemu
It may come to that; I'm working with dosemu because that was the first
DOS emulator we tried that we could make the software run in.  And, in
some respects, I prefer the way dosemu emulates DOS in much the same
sense that wine emulates Windows, instead of emulating hardware proper
dosemu does emulate the HW and uses freedos (or any other
dos you ask it to boot).
You can look into dosbox that "emulates" dos.

and not caring what software is running on it.

because I can't think of the real use-cases where you want to emulate
some modern device under dosemu or dosbox.
Well, I daresay they are not common, but I've got one. :-)

I can't go into too much detail (NDAs and such), but it involves a
legacy application, running under DOS, which depends on a particular
(relatively rare and expensive) piece of hardware.
If you want the DOS driver to communicate to that hardware,
then dosemu is fully prepared to that, because no emulation is
needed then. If you want to emulate the "very expensive hw"
without actually using the real hw, then I wonder what's the point.