Re: A video problem

Lars Bjørndal composed on 2014-10-25 15:32 (UTC+0200):

> It's really important to me to get dosemu to work, if possible. Hope
> someone can help. I tried to start dosemu after booting the machine
> with the kernel parameters "console=tty0 nomodeset vga=normal"
> removed. Then dosemu starts, but on my braille display (I need it
> because I'm blind), I then get: Screen is not in text mode. For
> further details, look below.

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 11:12:53PM +0200, Lars Bjørndal wrote:

>> I've used dosemu for years, and it has worked perfectly. After some
>> upgrades and hardware replacements, I cannot get dosemu to work any more.

Before you upgraded to Fedora 20, what were you using that was working?

Was that on the same machine you are trying to use now (same 965 Intel video)?

You might get better help asking on a Fedora list, such as the one that can
be suscribed at:

Have you considered switching to a distro targeted for use by the blind?
Knoppix features Adriane and works well from DVD boot so you can give it a
workout without installing first. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adriane

>> As I always use console and never use GUI, I have the following kernel
>> command line: "console=tty0 nomodeset vga=normal". So I don't have any
>> framebuffer.

>> I use Fedora 20, and have the package
>> dosemu-1.4.0.8-18.20131022git.fc20.x86_64 installed. When I run dosemu
>> with the -s flag, I get the following error messages:

>> Running as root in full feature mode
>> ERROR: SDL: No available video device
>> ERROR: PORT: conflicting devices: VGAEmu VGA Controller & extra stuff
>> for port 0
>> x3c0
>> ERROR: PORT: conflicting devices: VGAEmu CRT Controller & video port io
>> for port
>>  0x3d4
>> ERROR: PORT: conflicting devices: VGAEmu Input Status #1/Feature Control
>> & extra
>>  stuff for port 0x3da
>> ERROR: PORT: conflicting devices: VGAEmu Mono/Hercules Card Range 0 &
>> video port
>>  io for port 0x3b4
>> ERROR: PORT: conflicting devices: VGAEmu Mono/Hercules Card Range 1 &
>> extra stuff for port 0x3bf

>> Some output from lshw is:

>>         *-display:0 UNCLAIMED
>>              product: 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller
>>              vendor: Intel Corporation
>>              physical id: 2
>>              bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
>>              version: 02
>>              width: 64 bits
>>              clock: 33MHz
>>              capabilities: msi pm vga_controller cap_list
>>              configuration: latency=0
>>              resources: memory:fea00000-feafffff
>>              memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport
>> :ecb8(size=8)
>>         *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
>>              product: 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller
>>              vendor: Intel Corporation
>>              physical id: 2.1
>>              bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
>>              version: 02
>>              width: 32 bits
>>              clock: 33MHz
>>              capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
>>              configuration: latency=0
>>              resources: memory:feb00000-febfffff

I'm just speculating from seeing "UNCLAIMED" above that a required driver is
unavailable, possibly due to having been orphaned in the latest Fedora
version(s).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/