Re: dosemu and internet question

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> A new version of lynx was built for dos and if possible I'd like to get
> the internet up enough so under dosemu I can have lynx go out on an
> existing ethernet connection and find how well this package works.
> Unfortunately the knowledge as to how to set up an ethernet card under dos
> isn't widespread any longer or I might be able to test this version of
> lynx on a dedicated dos box.  I have freedos available for the dedicated
> dos box and might be able to get it installed tomorrow by a friend.  It's
> got no screen reader capability until after installation and if a computer
> won't talk to me or show me braille on a refreshable braille display I
> can't use the computer.  What I'd like to know is if the internet
> capabilities of dosemu are identical to dos with no drivers to support
> packets and ethernet card installed or is there a little support that
> might enable borrowing Linux resources to get out to the internet?

I was not testing DOSEMU network capabilities, but according to its
documentation (see "2.1.13. Networking under DOSEMU" in README.txt)
DOSEMU has wide networking support for IPX and IP protocols, and
TUN/TAP support is also available. You perhaps should use DOSEMU
TCP/IP "packet driver", as it was standard in DOS IP networking and
lynx for DOS should (IMO) support it.

Cheers, Franta Hanzlik