Re: File Limits

All DOS (including DOS 7/Win 4 releases running in 386Enhanced mode -- Windows
95, 98, Me) only support 2GiB files IIRC.  Even Real86 mode DOS 7 supports
FAT32, which allows bigger than 2GiB _file_systems_, but still has the 2GiB-1
(signed 32-bit int) _individual_file_ size limitation IIRC.

In fact, I don't think the 4GiB-1 (unsigned 32-bit int) support is in any
DOS/Win releases.  I only think it is an option in NT kernels (FAT16 in 3.1,
3.5, 3.51 and 4.0, FAT16 and FAT32 in 5.0/2000, 5.1/XP-2003, 6.0-Vista and
6.1/7-2008).  And any program that uses it _must_ know about the NT-only Win32
function calls that offer this.

I.e., the "Chicago" (Win9x) and NT/Win32 teams used _different_ DOS Int 21h and
Win32[s] function calls, the former completely ignoring the pre-existing of the
latter.  "Chicago" _never_ supported the native NT/Win32 calls, hence why they
likely _never_ supported the extensions for 4GiB-1 support IIRC.[1]

One quick trip to TechNet and you'll note this is an issue in "bare metal"
DOS/Win and even NT.  The legacy "Chicago" DOS Int 21h file services don't
handle growing beyond 2GiB-1 proper, _unless_ the NT/Win32 function extensions
are utilized.  Unfortunately even NT 5.0 (Windows 2000) implements the "Chicago"
calls bug-for-bug for compatibility reasons.

I.e., your program is likely instigating this, and the OS is just letting it do
what it wants (and causing the issue).

-- Bryan

NOTES:
[1] Like many libraries in NT/Win32, things just "didn't work" or "work well"
under Win9x -- OpenGL being my personal favorite, and the whole "DirectMM -- aka
Direct [DOS] Memory Map" lineage now known as "DirectX".  It wasn't until NT 5.0
(Windows 2000) that the NT/Win32 team started also supporting the
"Chicago"/Win32 DOS Int 21h changes.