File Limits

So here's my problem: Until now I was using dosemu with ms-dos 6.22 to run an old database. A little while ago we had some big changes to the tables and they grew a lot.
Yesterday I realized that we have a database file that is about to hit 2 Gb. I remembered that some time ago, we hit a bug on our program and it endlessly inserted rows on a table until it hit the 2 gb mark. Then the file either disappeared or became a 0 bytes file, I don't remember well.
So I started reading and found that ms-dos 6.22 only supports FAT16 and apparently it only allows 2 gb volumes, and 2 gb files.
So I thought of using ms-dos 7.10 which supports fat32 and would give us 4 gb files. But the same happens. The files disappear as soon as they hit the 2 gb mark. And when I execute the dir command, it always reports 2 gb of free disk space, which is odd.

I don't know if this is a limitation of dosemu or I'm doing something wrong. Right now, I have about 140 users. On each $HOME/.dosemu/drive_c/ of the users there are symlinks to each file in /usr/share/dosemu/drive_z/ , where ms-dos is located. And I have the database files in /datos/ . I use lredir to make it appear as f: to every user.
All of this is in the same ext3 partition.

Any ideas?