Re: High network usage over network filesystem

1. Are you having problems using dosbox or dosemu?  Despite the similarity of
the names, they are two different dos emulators.
Sorry about the confusion dosbox/dosemu, i'm definitely using dosemu.
2. "mounted network partition".  Do you mean nfs?  Samba?  Something else?
The computer dosemu is running on is a fedora that mounts a remote novell netware partition using ncpmount, and I use lredir to make it my f:
What if you just type dir at a dosemu prompt?

Describe more about your setup, how you're mounting your network partition and
what it consists of and how it's structured, and how you're accessing your data
files.
It doesn't matter how I acces my files. After every command I type there are several seconds of high network usage before doing anything, even running "dir" or running an "unix" command. The only thing that is not slowed down is changing directory and changing the device This time of doing nothing seems to be proportional to the amount of files in the current directory.
Here's an example:
test.bat contains this:

call time /t
call dir > null
call time /t
call unix "echo hi"
call time /t

running it on the root of the network device, on f:, where there are only 44 files, gives this:

F:\>test.bat
F:\>call time /t
Current time is  6:47:34.97 pm
F:\>call dir > null
F:\>call time /t
Current time is  6:47:35.68 pm
F:\>call unix "echo hi"
hi
F:\>call time /t
Current time is  6:47:35.84 pm

But then running on the directory where everything needs to be run, with 3830 files on the current directory, gives you this:
F:\somedir>test.bat
F:\somedir>call time /t
Current time is  6:51:20.16 pm
F:\somedir>call dir > null
F:\somedir>call time /t
Current time is  6:51:41.20 pm
F:\somedir>call unix "echo hi"
hi
F:\somedir>call time /t
Current time is  6:51:44.22 pm

On a windows prompt it runs like this:

F:\somedir>test.bat

F:\somedir>call time /t
18:53

F:\somedir>call dir  1>null

F:\somedir>call time /t
18:53

F:\soemdir>call unix "echo hi"
"unix" no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo,
programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.

F:\somedir>call time /t
18:53

Any ideas why is this slow? I wouldn't mind if doing a dir or something like this lasted a little more than normal, but those 3-4 seconds that is "hanged" everytime anything is trying to execute makes that, for example, compiling can take hours with dosemu and before were a matter of a couple of minutes or so (the compiler is called 2000 times more or less, but it finishes at the moment)

If I can give any more info, please tell me.