Using DOSEMU for PnP BIOS Function Calls?

Howdy,

I'm working on a project to set options in BIOSes made by Hewlett-Packard and other companies that only provide functionality for ROM options via PnP BIOS calls documented in the SMBIOS spec, e.g. functions 0x50, 0x51.

I have some DOS utilities that currently make these calls, and I'd ideally like to try to use them before going back to my efforts to write a Linux kernel driver or writing my own code that uses vm86 directly. Unfortunately, the existing DOS utilities don't seem to work because they can't access the bit of memory where the PnP BIOS installation structure resides, which is somewhere between 0x0000 and 0xfff0.

Searching through the mailing list, I saw a note about how $_hardware_ram only actually works for memory roughly between 0xcc000-0xcffff. Is this still the case?

When I use this line:
$_hardware_ram = "range 0x000,0xfff"

and then run dosemu in priviliged mode, I get the following output:
bill@kyoryu2:/etc/dosemu$ dosemu -s

Running privileged (via sudo) in full feature mode
CONF: memcheck - Fatal error.  Memory conflict!
   Memory at 0x0000:0x0000 is mapped to both:
   'Base DOS memory (first 640K)' & 'Direct-mapped hardware page frame'
CONF: memcheck - Fatal error.  Memory conflict!
   Memory at 0x0040:0x0000 is mapped to both:
   'Base DOS memory (first 640K)' & 'Direct-mapped hardware page frame'
CONF: memcheck - Fatal error.  Memory conflict!
   Memory at 0x0080:0x0000 is mapped to both:
   'Base DOS memory (first 640K)' & 'Direct-mapped hardware page frame'
CONF: memcheck - Fatal error.  Memory conflict!
   Memory at 0x00C0:0x0000 is mapped to both:
   'Base DOS memory (first 640K)' & 'Direct-mapped hardware page frame'

If I fiddle around with the settings, I still tend to get the same sort of errors. Is there something that I can do to make it to where I can map that memory? Is this kind of thing even possible in vm86?

Regards,
William Reading