unix command stalls DOSEMU until Ctrl-Shift-C pressed

Hello,

Probably the answer to this is simple, but I can't figure it out.

If I go to the FreeDOS prompt and enter the command

unix xclip ~/ filename

the xclip command works correctly (the contents of ~/filename are copied to
the Linux clipboard), but I have to press Ctrl-Shift-C to return to the
FreeDOS prompt.

The command

xlcip ~/filename

works perfectly from a Linux terminal.

What must I do to run this command and immediately return to the FreeDOS
command line?

I am asking so that I can add this information to my web page on WordPerfect
and DOSEMU:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos.linux.html

Many thanks for any help.