Re: Status Update : Deployment of DOSEMU Application Server

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Shaw Tong Tan <shawtan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1b.  From the original DOS batch file supplied by vendor, I can see that it setups the clipper path, so I assume it should be clipper-based.
> 1c.  The clipper-based software is also likely re-compiled with 3rd party tools.  I am not 100% sure on this.

Try to run the .exe through the 'strings" command. In my case this
helped me to determine it was a CA-Clipper 5.3 application with
Blinker.... can not be decompiled with any off-the-shelf tool that I
know of.

> 2.  For now, I have many users doing READ and upto 3 doing WRITE.
> 3.  Maybe that is why locking problem is minimal.  I am still observing since this is 1st week of deployment.  Prior to the deployment I have a test where I open 4 instances of the same data entry screen (key in PO)(so likely accessing the same tables and potentials locking issue)  However, they seemed to progress without any problems at the time of testing.

Hopefully that is the case.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:02 AM, Shaw Tong Tan <shawtan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry I was in a hurry in previous post so I now continue with the remaining.
>
> A.  Printing.
>
> 1.  PUTTY + REMOTE ANSI Printer + LPANSI was originally preferred since it makes the access and printing very easy for WAN clients.
>
> 2.  The plan failed when a client try to print LARGE Print job 32-300Kbytes.  The DOS Application still response but client print queue hung waiting.  Example a 32Kbytes job, it receive approx 4K+ then hung.  I tried various combination sometimes it send close to 8K then hung.

I had no issues even with large print jobs over ANSI printing. The
issue comes when the DOS program runs in the same session as the
Clipper application, since there is no way to block one input or the
other, e.g. if your program prints on the screen some status between
pages this could be causing what you describe. Try this,

"Print" to a file in homedir/printjobs:

#!/bin/bash
#/usr/local/bin/file2print
TMPFILE=`mktemp ~/printjobs/dfprint.XXXXXXXXXX` || exit 1
cat "$@" >> $TMPFILE

ANSI Print from the printjobs directory:

#!/bin/bash
# file2print
# send ~/printjobs/* to tty printer
echo Processing Print Jobs for LPT1...