Re: Status Update : Deployment of DOSEMU Application Server

Maybe you are over complicating...

I use Dosemu on a remote machine through ssh, very easyly.
1) each clinet use an instance of Dosemu at the server
2) all use the same linux directory as C:
3) I only needed to instal some fonts in the client machine.
4) I use a (free) pcl emulation software, whica generates .ps and is printed via Linux with cups. there is also an epson emulator, but it was older and the pcl worked first...

What I don't know:
1) if clipper locking is working with dosemu+freedos, you can test that easyly on a single machine 2) doemu does not implement any kind of flush printer buffer at LPT1 close. This existe in ALL other dos multi user dos system, since Novell2. So spool timing can be an issue.

I can send you some info, but it would be nice then, if you make a public how to for that :)

Alain

Shaw Tong Tan escreveu:
A while back I sent a request to the list for advice on running such a setup.  I received several kind suggestions from the list members.  I am now in 1st week of deployment and decide to submit a status update.

My thanks to all the people who pass me info and solutions.

Basic:
1.  Multi-user DOS clipper-based software.
2.  User access from LAN and WAN.
3.  DOS-based dot matrix printing for LAN and WAN clients.

There are currently 2 major ways to do this.
A.  Microsoft Terminal Server/Citrix Products.
B.  Open Source Software.

Option A is known to work.  It does incur higher cost, hardware and software and license management overhead.  I was asked to explore Option B as priority choice.  In case it doesn't work then fall back to Option A.

Observation
1.  Server hardware Quad-Core
2.  Server software CentOS 5.x (32-bit)
3.  DOSEMU with FreeDOS (32-bit) standard RPM download from website
4.  To address the 100% CPU utilization issue, I have used a combination of specialized dos program, Linux NICE value tuning and CPU affinity control to achieve acceptable response to enduser
5.  Initially I use PUTTY and REMOTE ANSi Printing with lpansi for printing
6.  I ran into problem where small size print jobs are ok, but big size print job always hang.
7.  After fruitless workaround attempts and decided against running custom kernels, I made the decision not to use REMOTE ANSI Printing, thus creating a new problem on how to pass print job from server to remote WAN client over the Internet.
8.  Implement OPENVPN for remote WAN clients with DSL connection.
9.  With VPN tunnel open, setup std CUPS printer with SMB config for remote client printer.
10.  Tune the setup to minimize packet fragment, timeout and firewall rules issues.