Re: DOSEMU vga font

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 20:02:24 -0400
"Bart Oldeman" <bartoldeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I got your message twice actually.

So did I, eventually.  Instead of being lost I guess my first message just
wandered in the darkness for a while.    I'll wait longer before giving up the
next time.

> The message comes from the dosemu script (/usr/bin/dosemu). It's on my
> todo list for 1.4.1 to get rid of it, it's harmless, wrong by default,
> and at the wrong place. dosemu.bin can complain if it can't find the
> font though.
>
> Essentially, if you don't set $_X_font, or use the default "" setting,
> then a bitmap font is used; X fonts aren't necessary for that.
>
> If you set it to "vga" (as was the default in 1.2.1 and earlier), and
> vga is not available, then the message is relevant. However the script
> isn't smart enough to know all that.

Ah... That is the best explanation that I have ever seen regarding this
situation.  Thank you ever so much for describing what's going in so clearly -
I sincerely appreciate it.

Incidentally, it has been brought to my attention (ahem.. several times) that
the link that I gave to my PowerBasic/DOS under DOSEMU article in my previous
message is wrong.  The correct link to the article is:

http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles

Apologies to everyone who tried to access the article from the previous link.

Perhaps I should also take this opportunity to thank you, Bart Oldeman, for all
of your work on DOSEMU.

DOSEMU is truly a marvellous piece of software.  It allows me to continue to
enjoy programming in "obsolete languages" (like Turbo C, which I was just
playing with again the other day, and PowerBasic, as mentioned above) and run
programs like WordPerfect, one of several programs that there is just no real
substitute for in modern software.

DOSEMU and Vice (C64 emulator) are just like old times, indeed.

Thank you, Bart.  Your efforts are greatly appreciated here.

-