Re: [GIT v2] Clean up option handling

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 13:51 +0100, Alan Jenkins wrote:
> On 6/24/09, Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Alan Jenkins napsal(a):

> >> I'm not sure that's the problem.  The patches are applied to Jons tree,
> >> but the tests fail (tests/runtests -vv).  I bisected it to "elfops:
> >> cleanup load_symbols()".
> >
> > It fails to find the exported symbol in tests/data/src/export_dep.c,
> > which does it the old, pre-2.5.59 way (symbol names in the kernel_symbol
> > struct directly). My patch removes support for that, so the failure
> > isn't surprising here :-). Do we still care about such old kernels, or
> > can I update the test?
>
> Go ahead.  Jon removed back-compat for the "stable" 2.4 kernels, I'm
> sure he's happy to drop cruft that only existed in the "unstable" 2.5
> series.
>
> And feel free to re-run the test to check for any other breakages :-).

This will teach me to not read an entire thread before replying. Yeah, I
do have the "secret knowledge" for building the modules - but it's not
so secret really (they're just very simple ELF files built with a
special section for mit), and it's probably better to just update the
test modules so they have recent 2.6 style export (non-kernel_symbol).

Oh, and I should be more clear next time when just the testsuite is
breaking - but I thought I had, and it turns out I didn't. Like I said
before, I'll poke at this myself too - yesterday I wound up having to
fix my POWER5 box (power cycler blew up randomly, gave in and ordered a
masterswitch for reliability) so I could build newer module files on it.

Jon.