Re: Announce: sdioutils (lssdio & sdioids)

On Wednesday 15 February 2023 20:05:51 Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 February 2023 14:15:21 Ulf Hansson wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 at 20:57, Pali Rohár <pali@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello! I would like to inform about new (or rather old) sdioutils
> > > project, which is on github: https://github.com/sdioutils/
> > >
> > > It aimed to be collection of SDIO programs for Linux systems.
> > >
> > > Currently it contains two things which can be useful for both users and
> > > developers:
> > >
> > > * lssdio - https://github.com/sdioutils/lssdio - tool which prints all
> > >   connected and registered SDIO devices in similar format than lspci or
> > >   lsusb, including tree and verbose formats (Linux v5.10+ required for
> > >   printing all information)
> > >
> > > * sdioids - https://github.com/sdioutils/sdioids - database file
> > >   sdio.ids of known SDIO devices, in format inspired by pci.ids and
> > >   which is already used by lssdio
> > >
> > > This new sdioids contains updated and imported database file from the
> > > old udev project (which seems to not be updated anymore).
> > >
> > > If you look into the repository, both parts are more than year old and
> > > I did not announced it before because more people promised to test or
> > > improve database... but nothing happened, only promises. So I decided to
> > > announce it now at least in this state. I think that it can be useful
> > > even in the current state.
> > >
> > > So if you want to improve it or add new SDIO cards into database, feel
> > > free to open a pull request on project page. I think that having some
> > > central point of sdio.ids database can be useful also for other
> > > projects.
> >
> > Thanks for sharing the news, it looks like a useful tool to me!
>
> I'm happy if it is useful for somebody :-)

Anyway, if you or anybody else on the list has some other SDIO card
which is not in sdio.ids database then fill free to send a pull request
to project page with adding it.

> > One thing I wonder though, is why you didn't consider extending
> > "mmc-utils" with these new cool things instead? In particular, we have
> > "lsmmc" in there for MMC and SD cards - and since these have a lot in
> > common with the SDIO cards, I believe it would make sense to extend it
> > (in some way or the other).
>
> It is more than year old... but what I remember is that I was thinking
> about it but I realized that SDIO devices and SD/MMC cards are too
> different. Also linux kernel provides for them different sysfs nodes
> (which mimics what these type of devices provides). So SDIO (for
> userspace) does not share too much code with SD/MMC.
>
> > Note that, if you are willing to help with maintenance of mmc-utils
> > around this, what would certainly be appreciated too. :-)
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Uffe
>
> I do not have time for this project. This is also why I was waiting more
> than year with sdioutils for testing/improving...

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Memonry Technology]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Media]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]