Re: Announce: sdioutils (lssdio & sdioids)

On Wednesday 15 February 2023 14:15:21 Ulf Hansson wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 at 20:57, Pali Rohár <pali@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello! I would like to inform about new (or rather old) sdioutils
> > project, which is on github: https://github.com/sdioutils/
> >
> > It aimed to be collection of SDIO programs for Linux systems.
> >
> > Currently it contains two things which can be useful for both users and
> > developers:
> >
> > * lssdio - https://github.com/sdioutils/lssdio - tool which prints all
> >   connected and registered SDIO devices in similar format than lspci or
> >   lsusb, including tree and verbose formats (Linux v5.10+ required for
> >   printing all information)
> >
> > * sdioids - https://github.com/sdioutils/sdioids - database file
> >   sdio.ids of known SDIO devices, in format inspired by pci.ids and
> >   which is already used by lssdio
> >
> > This new sdioids contains updated and imported database file from the
> > old udev project (which seems to not be updated anymore).
> >
> > If you look into the repository, both parts are more than year old and
> > I did not announced it before because more people promised to test or
> > improve database... but nothing happened, only promises. So I decided to
> > announce it now at least in this state. I think that it can be useful
> > even in the current state.
> >
> > So if you want to improve it or add new SDIO cards into database, feel
> > free to open a pull request on project page. I think that having some
> > central point of sdio.ids database can be useful also for other
> > projects.
>
> Thanks for sharing the news, it looks like a useful tool to me!

I'm happy if it is useful for somebody :-)

> One thing I wonder though, is why you didn't consider extending
> "mmc-utils" with these new cool things instead? In particular, we have
> "lsmmc" in there for MMC and SD cards - and since these have a lot in
> common with the SDIO cards, I believe it would make sense to extend it
> (in some way or the other).

It is more than year old... but what I remember is that I was thinking
about it but I realized that SDIO devices and SD/MMC cards are too
different. Also linux kernel provides for them different sysfs nodes
(which mimics what these type of devices provides). So SDIO (for
userspace) does not share too much code with SD/MMC.

> Note that, if you are willing to help with maintenance of mmc-utils
> around this, what would certainly be appreciated too. :-)
>
> Kind regards
> Uffe

I do not have time for this project. This is also why I was waiting more
than year with sdioutils for testing/improving...

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Memonry Technology]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Media]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]