Re: RFC sdio expander driver thoughts (TXS02612)

Hi Ulf,

> [...]
>>
>> Currently we use a user-space script that ejects the current drive, toggles
>> the control gpio and partprobes the other sd device:
>>
>> http://git.goldelico.com/?p=letux-kernel.git;a=blob;f=Letux/root/txs;h=a40a28c8e8bbae5c04569aced3de48571d00ef92;hb=e7a136a13aba2373b07637680d2998e7ea19c756
>>
>> This is slow. And is not transparent for user-space software (e.g. file managers).
>> And you can't copy data from one device to the other with standard cp commands
>> or without temporary storage.
>>
>> So we would be happy with any improvement over this situation and are not
>> immediately looking at perfection. This is why we want to find a kernel driver
>> solution for the txa02612 chip.

>>> Let me elaborate a bit on the problems.
>>>
>>> 1. Serialization of requests (several request sent after each other,
>>> with delays, changing clocks etc), is managed by the core, because it
>>> implements the SD/SDIO/(e)MMC specs. This does not belong in a host
>>> driver.
>>> -> A kind of mmc bus slot lock is needed in the core. Not a big deal,
>>> we can probably hide it below mmc_claim|release_host().
>>
>> Our goal would be to encapsulate this completely in the txs02612 driver
>> so that we do not have to touch the mmc core at all. If that is possible
>> with existing API.
>
> Sorry, but the core needs to be involved. However, I think adding a
> mmc bus lock, somehow, can be done.
>

>>> 2. What if there is an SD card that can cope with high-speed mode in
>>> one slot with a clock freq at 50 MHz. Then in the other slot, there is
>>> an eMMC using HS200 mode, running at 200 MHz. Can the HW guarantee all
>>> kind of different combinations, with clock glitches etc?
>>
>> We would be happy in a first step if it would work at all. Even with certain
>> constraints like same clock freq for everyone so that no clock switching
>> is involved. And yes, the txs02612 chip introduces its own speed limits.
>
> This is too hand-wavy. I need to know how you plan to solve this,
> because to me, it's really a tricky problem.
>
> Of course, it depends also on how much the HW offers to help.
>

>>> 3. The biggest problem: You can *not* provide any service guarantees
>>> in regards to latency or bandwidth for any of the storage media in the
>>> slots, because of the bus slot lock. That because the upper layers
>>> runs I/O scheduling separately for each storage device, thus request
>>> for one slot can starve requests on another.
>>
>> Yes, we are aware of this limitation. It is not possible to achieve the
>> same speed in multiplexed mode as with a dedicated mmc port for each client.
>> But I expect the problem is not much different from a hard disk which may
>> have significant latency while spinning up the motor.
>
> This is not only about poor performance. It's about things being
> entirely unpredictable.
>
> Maybe we can figure something out to release the bus lock in between
> every request (that's not what we do today for the host lock), but it

Yes, that is basically my view: if each request is locked but released
after being served, the other channel gets a chance (if there is a pending
request). With such a scheme, two processes accessing the two channels
concurrently would alternate the switch and share bandwidth. Like two
USB clients sitting on a remote hub which is connected to a single USB
host port. Well, this analogy isn't perfect as the USB protocol and hub
already takes care of this situation.

> You simply will have to post patches for me to look at,
> before I can decide what to do with them.

Ok, that is fine. Thanks!

>> And we have the same (even worse) with our current eject/partprobe approach
>> which also does sort of serialization.
>>
>> So we just want to know about the hurdles towards upstreaming before
>> we have to turn the driver code upside down. And how to setup the driver
>> architecture to get it basically working.
>
> Fair enough. I hope my comments have given some answers to you.

Yes they do. We will start experimenting a little with our ideas. And then
share them. Or come up with specific questions...

Best regards and thanks,
Nikolaus